Is anyone out there?
It’s so overwhelming trying to update a blog when you haven’t updated it since God was a boy. Where do I start? What was I going to say? What was this blog about, anyway? I dunno.
I’ll start with some stuff–
- Things I am into: The new Les Miserables movie due out this Christmas. I am so excited about this movie I can’t stand it. If you don’t like musicals or Les Mis, you best not tell me because I will think less of you as a person. Btw, the best film adaptation of the novel is the 1934 French film by Raymond Bernard. It’s long, but brilliant. Harry Baur is the best Jean Valjean I have ever seen, and I’ve seen them all. Don’t get me wrong, Colm Wilkinson has all the stars and asterisks in my heart– but Harry Baur tops him, slightly.
- CrossFit. I am ALL about the CrossFitting. I started up officially, for real, in June at CrossFit Transformation in Roseville, MI. It’s not far from my house and I am lazy about research, so I just up and emailed the box (aka: CrossFit gym. They call them “boxes”. It’s not perverted)– and then kind of fibbed my way into skipping the 3 fundamentals classes (as I did them at Motor City CrossFit over a year and half ago, which I conveniently rounded down). I would’ve liked to have done the fundamentals classes again, but I’m poor– and at Motor City they cost $150, on top of whatever the monthly fee is. I can’t afford that, so I had to lie. I didn’t WANT to lie. In any case, everyone is super-patient and awesome there and I think I picked the right box for me. The floor is a little dirtier than I’d like, it’s all autumn leaves and dirt and splinters, but I can deal. They are right to call CrossFit a cult. It’s addictive and cultish, for sure. It’s kind of what I’m after right now, though, as–
- B (we’re still dating, it’ll be two years on Sept. 16) made a work-related move to Baton Rouge, LA in May. It pretty much sucks moose wang for us, but it’s a good career move. Hopefully, he’ll be back in the D sometime November/Decemberish. Thus, I like the CrossFit cult mentality because it keeps me from just putting on my pajamas and being anti-social after work every day.
- I got to visit New Orleans for the first time ever and I love it tons. Baton Rouge was just ok (but I got to check out Geaux CrossFit there, which was awesome), but New Orleans? Fantastic. I ate all the foods and saw the Rebirth Brass Band one of the nights and they blew my mind. What a lot of fun! Can’t wait to go back to Louisiana at the end of this month– and hopefully, if B’s work schedule allows, back to NOLA.
- I did Tough Mudder in April in Ohio with my friends, Gerri and Joe. It was awesome. Best experience ever. Great camaraderie and an all-around fantastic event. Can’t wait to do another Tough Mudder. Apparently THERE WILL BE an event in the Detroit-area in 2013. Am stoked.
- Oh, check out the WOD Diaries. It’s hilarious. Here’s the Pilot Episode. If you like it a lot, you can contribute here.
- I think CrossFit is really about the coaches taking pictures of all of the awesome and beautiful faces I make when I am doing gods know what possibly 5 lbs max on a barbell. But it looks really heavy, right? It feels heavy.
I think I will make an album strictly devoted to The Terrible Faces I Make at CrossFit.
Over the last year or so, I think my body has undergone some kind of transformation (of the positive variety). I hope to keep up the positive and make more gains. Goal: dead-hang and kipping pullup (by Halloween), a double-under (some day), and a hand-stand push-up (before I die. Am currently afraid of approaching the wall even remotely). My diet has been kind of loosey-goosey for the last few month and I haven’t successfully battened down the hatches since January, so I’ve started a Whole30. Yesterday was Day #1. It should’ve been Day #2, but I HAD to finish off a pint of pistachio gelato and other such. The box is starting one tomorrow, so I’ll join them for accountability purposes.
Anyway, that’s what’s what. (WHAT?)
Maybe I’ll update again sooner rather than later.